For the tarts:
- Preheat oven to 170C
- In a medium bowl, crumble the butter and flour together using your fingertips until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs
- Mix in the egg and sugar until a dough begins to form. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 2-3 minutes until well combined
- Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for 20-30 minutes
- Working with small pieces of dough at a time, roll to a thickness of about 1/4in and line the mini tar tins. Cut any excess pastry from the sides of the tart cases
- Lightly prick the bases with a fork or toothpick and return to fridge for another 20 minutes
- Blindly bake the tart shells for 10 minutes with parchment paper and baking beans to ensure tart shapes are maintained. Remove the baking beans and parchment paper and return to oven for another 10 minutes or until tart shells are lightly browned
For the filling:
- In a saucepan, mix the cream, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat when mixture comes to a boil. Stir in dark chocolate and butter
- Once the chocolate is melted, stir in milk until the mixture is glossy in appearance
- Pour into pre-prepped mini tart shells and cool at room temperature for 2 hours, followed by 1 hour in the fridge. Time permitting cool in fridge over-night.
(Freshly Tip: It is important to allow tarts to come to room temperature naturally without having to chill them as soon as they are filled)
- Once set, prior to serving top with chocolate covered strawberries, blackberries and a sprig of mint
Visit https://www.freshlykenya.com/recipe/chocolate-covered-strawberries/ for a quick and easy chocolate covered fruit recipe !